eCommerce merchants serving businesses operating in the food industry must have heard about the FSSAI registration. But what exactly is FSSAI, and why is it so important? Read on to find out.
This blog explains, in detail, what FSSAI is, why it is important, what the different parts of the FSSAI number mean, and what to keep in mind while doing an FSSAI number check.
What is FSSAI?
FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is a private organisation that maintains food safety standards in India and reports directly to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The main purpose of the FSSAI certification is to ensure that the food businesses produce/circulate safe food for consumption.
Mandated by the 2006 FSS Act, FSSAI performs the following functions:
- Setting Guidelines: FSSAI is responsible for creating guidelines and rules in relation to food hygiene and safety that must be followed by food manufacturing companies.
- Issuing License: Any business that needs to operate in the food industry needs the FSSAI license, which this organisation issues.
- Performing Audits: FSSAI also performs regular inspections of food manufacturing and producing companies to ensure they meet the required guidelines and standards.
- Testing the Food Standard: FSSAI also tests the quality and standard of the food manufactured by the companies registered under FSSAI.
- Spreading Awareness on Food Safety: FSSAI spreads awareness about food safety and informs the citizens about the importance of hygienic food consumption.
- Maintaining Data and Records: FSSAI is responsible for maintaining the data of the organisations registered under FSSAI. If any irregularity is noticed, FSSAI has the authority to cancel the license.
- Updating the Government: FSSAI is supposed to convey any food safety-related threat or information to the government so that appropriate action can be taken. Moreover, FSSAI must help the government in framing new food standard policies.
What do the Different Parts of the FSSAI Number Mean?
FSSAI issues a 14-digit license number to all Food Business Operators that comply with its rules and regulations. Each number signifies a different thing that merchants need to know about. Here are the meanings of the different parts of the FSSAI number.
- Section 1: The first digit of the FSSAI number indicates whether the FBO has obtained the FSSAI license or registration.
- Section 2: The second and third digits provide information about the state where the business is registered.
- Section 3: The fourth and fifth digits provide information about the year in which the FBO was issued the FSSAI license.
- Section 4: The sixth, seventh, and eighth digits indicate the number of enrolled masters.
- Section 5: The ninth to fourteenth digits indicate the serial number of the FBO under a specific registrar’s office.
What Things to Keep in Mind While Checking FSSAI Number?
Businesses need to keep the following in mind about the FSSAI license number:
- The FSSAI license number is issued by the authority, and the logo must be placed on the packaged product.
- If importers are importing products, they must show their FSSAI number, name, and address.
- The measure of numerals and letters of the license number must be per Food Safety and Standard Regulation, 2011.
- Displaying the FSSAI number and logo at any time represents the business has a legitimate permit under FSSAI Act, 2006.
Q. What does the FSSAI do?
A.FSSAI is focused on laying down well-researched, science-based standards in relation to food articles, regulating the storage, manufacturing, distribution, import, and sale of food, and facilitating food safety at all levels.
Q. Is an FSSAI Registration Mandatory?
A.Yes, every FBO or food business operator involved in processing, manufacturing, storing, selling, and distributing food products must have an FSSAI license to operate.
Q. How long does it take to get FSSAI Registration?
A.There are three types of FSSAI registration. And the time required for them varies. For instance:
1. The basic FSSAI license is delivered in 7 working days.
2. The State and Central license takes around 30 days to get delivered.
Q.How is an FSSAI number check conducted?
A. Here are the steps businesses need to follow to perform an FSSAI number check: Step 1: Visit the FoSCoS website.
Step 2: Click the ‘FBO Search tab’.
Step 3: Enter the 14-digit license number and the captcha and click submit.
Step 4: The FSSAI license details will pop up.